Amravati formerly Oomrawutty is a city in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Amravati is the second largest city of Vidarbha region of Maharashtra after Nagpur. It is the administrative headquarters of the Amravati district. It is also the headquarters of the Amravati division which is one of the six divisions of the state. Among the historical landmarks in the city are the temples of Shree Ambadevi, Shri Krishna, Gadge Maharaj and Shri Venkateshwara Swamy. The city is famous for Hanuman Vyayam Prasarak Mandal, one of the largest sports complexes in India, which is famous for its facility for different kinds of sports.
The ancient name of Amravati is “Audumbaravati”, in Prakrit, “Umravati”. The variant “Amravati” is the presently accepted name. It is said that Amravati is named for its ancient Ambadevi temple. A mention of Amravati can be found on a stone inscription on the base of the marble statue of God. Adinath (Jain God) Rhishabhnath. The statues date back to the year 1097. “Govind Maha Prabhu” visited Amravati in the 13th century, when Wardha was under the rule of Deogiri’s Hindu King (Yadava dynasty). In the 14th century, there was drought and famine in Amravati, so people abandoned Amravati and left for Gujrat and Malwa. Though some locals returned after several years, this resulted in a scanty population. In the 17th century, Magar Aurangpura (today, ‘Sabanpura’) was allotted for a Jama Masjid by Mughal Aurangzeb. This indicates the existence of a Muslim population. In 1722, Chhattrapati Shahu presented Amravati and Badnera to Ranoji Bhosle; eventually, Amravati was known as Bhosle ki Amravati. The city was reconstructed and developed by Ranoji Bhosle after the treaty of Devgaon and Anjangaon Surji and victory over Gavilgad (Fort of Chikhaldara). The British general and author Wellesly camped in Amravati, the place is still known as the ‘camp’, by Amravati people. Amravati city was founded towards the end of the 18th century. The Union state of Nizam and Bhosle ruled Amravati. They appointed a revenue officer but neglected defence. The Gavilgad fort was conquered by the British on 15 December 1803. Under the Deogaon treaty, Warhad was presented as a token of the friendship to the Nizam.
The Sahukars (bankers and merchants) of Amravati saved Amravati by presenting seven lakh rupees to Chittu Pendhari. The Nizam ruled for more than half-century. From 1859 to 1871, many government buildings were constructed by the British. The Railway Station was constructed in 1859; the Commissioner Bungalow in 1860, the Small Causes Court in 1886, (today, the S.D.O. OFFICE), the Tahsil Office & the Main Post Office were built in 1871. The Central Jail, Collector’s Office, the Rest House, and Cotton Market were also built. During 1896, Dadasaheb Khaparde, Raghunath Narasinha Mudholkar, Sir Moropant Joshi, Pralhad Pant Jog were prominent men in Amravati. The 13th Congress Conference was held at Amravati on 27–29 Dec’ 1897 due to their efforts.The Municipal AV High School was inaugurated at the hands of Subhas Chandra Bose. Amravati housed the head office of ‘Savinay Awagya Andolan ‘(The Civil Disobedience Movement). On 26 April 1930, water was taken from ‘Dahihanda’ for the famous ‘Namak Satyagrah’, Dr. Soman brought seawater from Mumbai for the occasion. About ten thousand people prepared salt under the leadership of Vamanrao Joshi.
Udumbaravati is the ancient name of Amravati. It was due to the presence of a large number of Audumber trees in the region. Umbravati, Umravati& Amravati are derivatives of Udumbaravati. The city grew rapidly at the end of the 18th century due to growth in businesses.
In 1853, the present-day territory of Amravati district, as a part of the Berar Province was assigned to the British East
India Company, following a treaty with the Nizam of Hyderabad. After the Company took over the administration of the province, it was divided into two districts. The present-day territory of the district became part of North Berar district, with headquarters at Buldana. Later, the province was reconstituted and the territory of the present district became part of East Berar district, with headquarters at Amraoti. In 1864, Yavatmal District (initially known as Southeast Berar district and later Wun district) was separated. In 1867, Ellichpur District was separated but in August 1905,when the whole province was reorganized into six districts, it was again merged into the district. It became part of the newly constituted province of Central Provinces and Berar in 1903. In 1956, the Amravati district became part of Bombay State and after Bombay state’s bifurcation in 1960, it became part of Maharashtra state.