The term Pune comes from the word Punya or holy. Copper plates dating as early as 768 and 758 A.D. bear the first reference to the city that is now known as Pune. These copper plates were made by the Rashtrakuta ruler, Krishna I, and the region is referred to as ‘Punaka Vishaya‘ and ‘Puny Vishaya’ respectively. It was around this time that the famous and beautiful Pataleshwar rock-cut temple was built.
The district Chandrapur was earlier known as ‘Chanda’ according to tradition and legend the name of the place was ‘Lokapura’ which was first changed to ‘ Indpur’ and subsequently to Chandrapur. During the British colonial period it was called Chanda district, which was again changed to its original name ‘Chandrapur ‘ around 1964.
Other places of the region in ancient times include wairangad, Kosala, Bhadravati and Markanda. Hindu and Buddhist kings are said to have ruled the area for a long time, Later on Gonds overtook Dana Chiefs who ruled Chandrapur around 9 th century and Gond Kings ruled the area till 1751 after which Maratha period started. Raghuji Bhosale, the last King of the dynasty, died heirless in 1853 and Nagpur province together with Chandrapur was declared annexed to British Empire.
In 1854, Chandrapur formed and independent district and in 1874, it comprised of three tehsils Viz Mul, Warora and Bramhpuri.
In 1874, however, upper Godavai district of Madras was abolished and four tehsils were added to Chandrapur to form one tehsil with Sironcha as its headquarters.
In 1895, the headquarters of one tehsil transferred to MUl to Chandrapur.
A new tehsil with headquarter at Gadchoroli was created in 1905 by transfer of zamindari estates from Bramhpuri and Chandrapur tehsil.
An small zamindari tract from Chandrapur district as transferred to newly from districts in 1907. In the same year and area of about 1560 sq. km. comprising of three divisions of the lower Sironcha tehsil namely Cherla, Albak nad Nugir were transferred to Madras State.
No major changes occurred in the boundaries of the district or its tehsils between 1911-1955.
Consequent upon reorganization of the states in 1956, the district was transferred from Madhya Pradesh to Bombay state.
In the same Rajura tehsil, a part of Adilabad district of Hydrabad state, was transferred to Nanded district subsequently it was transferred to Chandrapur district in 1959.
The district became part of the Maharashtra since its creation in May 1960.
For administrative convenience and industrial and agricultural development , this district was again divided into Chandrapur and Gadchiroli district after 1981 census.
Chandrapur district now comprises of the tehsil of Chandrapur , Bhadravati, Warora, Chimur, Nagbhir, Bramhpuri, Sindhewahi, Mul, Gondpipri, Pomburna, Saoli, Rajura, Korpana, Jivati and Balharshah.
Gond Raja Fort was built by the Gond kings between the late 15th century and early 16th century. The main objective for constructing this fort was to protect the king and the army from enemy attacks. The construction of this fort was started by Babji Ballal Sah; but after his death in 1597, the work was carried further by Dhundya Ram Sah.
Though the construction was completed by Dhundya Ram Sah during 16th century. the building commenced under Khandkya Ballal Sah (1470-1495). The walls of this fort cover a massive area of around 7.5 miles. When the Gond capital was shifted from Ballalpur to Chandrapur, the Ballal kings built an extensive land fort with high walls and bastions. The fort has strong walls of 15-20 foot high encompassing the city. The fort area is divided into Jatpura on north side, Vinba or Ghod-maidan on west side, Pathanpura on south side and Mahakali or Achaleshwar on east side. The fort has small four-five entrances.
Regular private and state transport bus services along with auto rickshaws are available from Chandrapur to this fort.
Manikgarh Fort was built by Tribal Naga Kings during 9th century. Manikgarh, made famous by a newly established cement factory near by, is about 35kms south-west of Chandrapur. Built by tribal Naga kings in the 9th century, the Manigarh hill fort stands at the height of 507 metres above sea-level. It was strongly fortified with walls and bastions. Today, the fort is in complete ruins and has become a sanctuary for wild animals. A pukka road through a dense forest leads very close to the gateway of the fort. Nearby is an old temple of Vishnu. The fort is now in ruined condition and only remnants are damaged structures, tanks, walls and bastions. Its ruined walls and bastions show the signs of strong fortifications of that time.
Ballalpur Fort is located in Ballalpur town with 16 km from Chandrapur. Khandakya Ballalshah built this land fort on the eastern bank of the Wardha River. The fort is square in shape with walls and bastions. The fort walls are still intact, but all the old structures are in total ruins. There are still two intact gates set at right angle to each other and small postern gate on the river side.